Friday, October 8, 2010

Raisin Spice Cookies-Gluten Free

I love me some cookies. I love baking cookies. When I had to go gluten-free I was determined to make yummy cookies. Here is a recipe that is really quick and easy...and delicious.
Some people do not prefer brown rice flour because of its "gritty" texture but, I think it is more "earthy" than gritty, and I like "earthy" cookies. This cookie is not overly sweet, and has a nice light texture. One main thing I've learned in GF baking is that the addition of a starch is very important if you want a lighter texture like that of a conventional cookie. I like potato starch or arrowroot starch. Some use tapioca starch but, I am not fond of the taste. GF flours are very different from your basic wheat or white flours. It takes some practice... I'm still getting there.
I adapted this recipe from Arrowhead Mills. There were a couple of ingredients I didn't have so, I substituted and they came out pretty good. Anyway...on with the recipe.

Raisin Spice Cookies
adapted from Arrowhead Mills
1/4 C. Pure Maple Syrup or Honey
1/4 C. Brown Sugar
1 egg
1/2 C. Oil (canola or vegetable, or light tasting olive oil)
1 C. Brown Rice Flour
1/4 C. Potato Starch
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (keeps from crumbling)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 C. raisins
1/2 C. chopped pecans (optional)

Cream together your syrup or honey, oil and egg. Add rice flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix well. Stir in the raisins and pecans (if using). Drop onto parchment lined baking sheet (or lightly greased sheet).
Bake @ 375 for 10-12 minutes. You want the cookies to be lightly golden but, still slightly soft in the center. Not mushy but soft. They will be more crumbly if over-baked.

P.S. the addition of some chocolate chips might be very nice! And you can use dried cranberries instead of raisins if you prefer.

Enjoy!!!

No comments: