Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cilantro-Lime Rice Bowls...


The first time I had a rice bowl at Chipotle, I thought "hey, I could make this." It's basically rice, with a variety of different toppings. After doing some research, I found a recipe that is very similar to Chipotle's Cilantro-Lime rice except, I make it with whole grain brown rice. Every couple of weeks, I make these for dinner. The kids love putting their own toppings on and finish every last bit! Below is the link to the cilantro-lime rice that I make and some other links to homemade toppings. Basically, I just make the rice, scoop it in a bowl, and let everyone add what they want. It's a complete meal. Inexpensive, easy, healthy, and delicious!

Guacamole or avocado slices
Grated cheese (your favorite. I like sharp cheddar or pepper jack)
Sour cream or plain yogurt (or creme fraiche if you're fancy) :)
any other bean you like
Jalapenos
Tobasco or other hot sauce

The fun of this is that you can add whatever you want, and an added bonus is...the leftovers! We ate these last night and I had the leftovers for lunch today!


*I use brown rice instead of the white in the recipe, I've also used only water instead of the chicken stock, especially if you are vegan or vegetarian)

Enjoy!

BTW, This post is linked to Pennywise Platter over at Nourishing Gourmet! Go check it out!

4 comments:

Wusel's... said...

sounds delicious...maybe I'll try it next week.
:-)))

Katie Riddle said...

This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing (visiting from Pennywise Platter).

Jen said...

Looks awesome! What a great idea. By the way, I just watched the chef cooking show =). Kids! =) We miss you and love you guys LOTS!

~beautyandjoy~ said...

YUM. I will be trying this! Thank you! Thank you for your sweet comments, too. :)