Friday, September 10, 2010

Our First Day Of School!

Yesterday was our first day of school. We celebrate the first and last day of school around here, I just think it makes it more exciting for the kiddos (and me too).
We started off with a yummy breakfast of orange french toast and watermelon!
Then, we took a brisk walk around the block to get some fresh air,
and get some of our wiggles out.
Lots of learning...they jumped right in.
My mom sent me the sandwich maker she used with my brother and I
when we were younger so, I used it to make lunch for the kids. It brought back
a lot of memories.
I had an errand to run for a DIY project I'm doing (details coming soon),
after that we stopped by the City Hall to run in their big, green lawn.
I read a post on Simple Homeschool about 10 back to school traditions and one of the ideas was to wrap up some school supplies like presents. I thought it was a terrific idea so, I gave it a try. Here's a video of the kids opening their supplies. It's a little long so, feel free to stop it anytime, unless you're family and want to watch it all. :)

To be honest, I was a little anxious about our first day, probably more for me than them. Since "A" is doing Kindergarten and "K" is doing 1st grade I thought it would be difficult to teach them both and keep their attention. They both did amazing, seriously. It wasn't as hard to adapt back to the routine. I'm so proud of them. It's still going to take some adjustment to have them both at the same time but, I'm sure I'll learn what works and what doesn't. This was a short first week so, I'm looking forward to seeing how our first full week goes. Next week we start the Co-op as well. Looking forward to all that's in store for the year.

How about you? I'd love for you to share some of the fun things you do to celebrate the first day of school at your house, whether homeschooled or not, or maybe you have a great memory of your first day of school as a child! Please share.


2 comments:

Andrea said...

Well, tomorrow is day 1 of school, take two. I think we'll celebrate by going to the local pool for the first time and doing our reading from a lounge chair. I could get used to this =)

Andrea said...

Well, tomorrow is day 1 of school, take two. I think we'll celebrate by going to the local pool for the first time and doing our reading from a lounge chair. I could get used to this =)