Friday, September 10, 2010

The Best Gluten-Free Cornbread!

photo from laaloosh.com
Since going gluten-free, I have found that gf (gluten-free) baking from scratch takes a lot of experimenting. It must taste good, and trust me sometimes it doesn't. So, I decided that I would attempt to adapt my favorite conventional cornbread recipe into a gluten-free one. Guess what? It worked and it tastes delicious, if I do say so myself. My husband ate it and said that if I hadn't told him he never would have known. So, I was very excited to share this with you and hope you try it. (and like it).

Gluten-Free Cornbread
What you'll need...
1 C. Cornmeal (gf)
1/3 C. sorghum flour
1/3 C. brown rice flour
1/3 C. potato starch (not potato flour)
1 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum (keeps from crumbling)
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2/3 C. milk (cow, soy, rice, whichever you prefer)
1/2 C. sugar (if you prefer less sweet use 1/4 C. I use raw sugar)
1/2 C. oil
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Combine corn meal, flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum in a bowl. Mix oil, eggs and milk together and add to dry ingredients. Mix together until just moistened. Try not to overmix. Bake in a greased baking pan ( I use a glass pie plate and it works, great). Bake for 20-25 minutes. Mine seems to bake in about 20 but check periodically so, it's not overdone.

That's it. Enjoy!!


No comments: