Friday, April 4, 2008

Good Food Friday!

machunkha tomatoes



Easy Salsa
One 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
(you can also use 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes instead)
One 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
(sometimes I leave these out. It's just as good without them)
1/2 c. chopped scallions (white and green parts)
1/2 C. chopped onions
1/4 C. chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp. fresh lime or lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 C. chopped fresh tomatoes
1. Place everything except the 1/2 C. chopped tomatoes in a food processor. Cover and process until finely chopped.
2. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes. Let stand at least one hour for flavors to meld.
*Substitutions...If I want to make this and I don't have scallions I just use the 1/2 cup of onion and it tastes fine. Also you can use bottled lemon juice or lime juice in place of the fresh.
*If you like things spicy...add some chopped jalapenos!
My husband absolutely loves this salsa. I do too!
This makes a great topping for tacos/burritos, chicken, fish and even burgers. And of course, tortilla chips.
ENJOY!!

No comments: