Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Me and The City.

Photo of the skyline from Boston Sports Then and Now.

I love the city. The diversity, the sights, sounds, smells...it's all wonderful. But, I've been starting to realize that down in the depths of my heart I am not really a "city-girl." When I was younger I used to dream about living in the city, the tall skyscrapers, the people, the "cutting-edge", always having somewhere to go or something to do.
This morning I was sitting at the dining room table drinking my coffee and I said to my husband "I'm a sit-on-the-porch with a glass of lemonade and no other plans than to just chat, chill and enjoy the day kinda girl." He chuckled because he knows that I do things at my own pace, and by my own pace I mean slower than most. Although, I love the city, the pace of life here is much different than what I am used to. I've also realized that I don't have to set the pace of my home the same as it is outside. Being here is causing me to see things about myself that I haven't seen before, and this is one of them. I'm also discovering how much I love it when I am organized but, how extremely hard I have to work at actually being organized. I guess it's not the city that has brought me to that conclusion, it's the homeschooling. :)
Anyway, this probably sounds like I am a true candidate for life down South but, uh-uh. I'm happy here. This is where God wants us, and that's exactly where I want to be. Besides, where else can you leave your front door and walk a few blocks to the nearest Starbucks?
God is doing amazing things here and in our lives. It has its challenges but, life itself is a challenge, right? Good thing we're not in it alone.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I had no idea you moved! I have some catching up to do!

Anonymous said...

I miss you around here :)... I think I feel the same about the City... I do love Boston though :)

G. said...

Yes, Boston is really an amazing city. I think I like it better than NYC...it's just different. So much history, too.

Andrea said...

It is difficult to feel content when it doesn't feel natural. I often find myself longing for other places (warmer places) but I'm really trying to be comfortable where I am. And I'm with you on loving to be organized but having a hard time getting there =)

Linda said...

The best place to be is always in God's will. My parents grew up in the country, moved to the city to work and raise a family, then retired in the country. I always thought it was no fair. I wanted to be a country girl. A big reason we have stayed here is our church, and it's worth it. Among other things, I don't know how I would have home schooled my kids without them. I pray God blesses your church plant.