Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What Can I Eat That's Gluten-Free?- Rice Pudding.

*This post is linked to What Can I Eat That's Gluten Free? over at Gluten-Free Homemaker.

This is my mom's recipe for rice pudding. As a child, I loved eating this and I still do. It brings back memories of home and all of the love my mom would put into every dish that she made. She was always cooking and baking. A plate of homemade baked goods was almost always waiting for us on the kitchen counter. Her chocolate chip cookies were (still are) the very best. So, this recipe is a tribute to my amazing mom who still knows how to win my heart with her delicious treats!

This yields a more custard-like pudding...delicious!

Mom's Rice Pudding
3 slightly beaten eggs
2 C. milk
1 1/2 C. cooked rice (I use brown rice-great time to use up leftovers)
1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C. raisins
1 tsp. vanilla (gluten-free, of course)
ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the cinnamon. Pour into a greased baking dish and bake for 25 minutes. Stir it gently, then sprinkle with cinnamon. Continue baking until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean! That's it!
*TIP: I like to place the baking dish in a water bath before baking. I just pour hot water into a 9x13 inch pan and place the dish with the pudding in it and bake. It helps it not to stick, and bake evenly. Oh, I just thought of something else! Sometimes I grate a little orange or lemon peel into the mixture, it makes it a little extra special. :)

My favorite way to eat this is warm with extra milk for breakfast. Yummy and completely gluten-free! Enjoy!

No comments: