Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Big Move: Week One

Well, we are here. Cambridge, Massachusetts, that is. It has been a week and we are slowly but surely getting settled in. I love the city. The only way to describe it for me would be that it has something for all of your senses. I walk out my front door and there are wonderful things to see, smell, touch, taste, and hear. Right now, the first thing I hear, see, and smell, is construction outside my front door. They are working to make the sidewalks bigger, which is a plus but, not so great right now because it is noisy. But, it's to be expected in the city. There is a wonderful park about 2 blocks away and we've gone almost every day. There is a sprinlking fountain there for the kids to play in and a lot of space to ride bikes and run. It has been a blessing because our "backyard" consists of a cement slab and some greenery. We actually sat out back last night and it was surprisingly quiet. There is enough room for a small patio table, chairs, and our grill. It's really perfect for sitting out there to read or even eat. It has been an adjustment for K though as he cannot ride his bike in the driveway like he used to. The park has served him well for his bike and scooter riding.
I made my first mistake by attempting to do my grocery shopping on the Sunday evening before labor day. I will not do that again. I went to Trader Joe's and a local grocery chain. Let's just say, when the stores are crowded and busy...there are grumpy people, and I experienced a few of them. I also discovered that I can pretty much stick to my normal grocery budget if I do a little research and coupon clipping. Can I just say that Trader Joe's is amazing...and has a good price on milk? I had only been once before with my sister-in-law but, knew I would love it. I could have easily spent hours in there but, the hoards of people forced me to get what I needed and get out. Next time I will go during the week.
The kids are sharing a room complete with bunk beds. They are doing very well. They keep referring to "home" as New York. I keep referring to "home" as New York. It will definitely take some time but, I am looking forward to the future and all of the great things in store.

If anyone would like to ask me any questions about our move or anything else, feel free to leave it in a comment and I'll answer when I can.

Thanks to all still reading.

6 comments:

Courtney @ splashing grace said...

Praying you guys continue to settle in and make your new surroundings home.

Alissa:Adventurer said...

Trader Joes is definitely the most amazing place to grocery shop. If you like guacamole, they have cheap kits containing everything you need! They also have the most amazing cheeses and meats ever. Oh man, now I want to go there!

I hope you are enjoying your time in Boston so far. Its such a beautiful place, as well as a place that needs Jesus like whoa.

Fellow New England Sister in Christ,
Alissa

Alissa:Adventurer said...

haha I dont even know how I found it! Completely randomly.. Where in NY are you guys from?

Circular Logic said...

Congratulations on the move! I look forward to reading about your observations of this new city!

Tabitha Blue said...

Oh wow, sounds like a wonderful place to live, and I'm so glad the family is all adjusting so well!!!! Parks are wonderful, especially nice ones that are close by! And Trader Joes!! I love that place, I just wish there was one closer to me. :)

~Tabitha

MICHELLE said...

Great to hear you are enjoying your first week there. I'm sure you will have lots of awesome adventures to blog about as you explore the city! Keep us posted when you can!