Friday, December 19, 2008

Homemade Christmas!

hot chocolate Pictures, Images and Photos

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I would be doing a post on some of my favorite gift ideas for Christmas. I have changed that idea a bit and have decided to post some of my favorite homemade gift ideas with recipes so you can make them yourself. I will post them over the next couple of days because it's too long to put it all into one post! If you are anything like me, there are so many people that you'd like to give to each year but, you just can't buy everyone a gift. That's why I like making homemade gifts. This first one is really easy, yummy, and inexpensive; It's cocoa mix! My kids love hot cocoa and I actually make this mix for us to use because it only has a few ingredients and none of them are artificial (except for the marshmallows if you add them.) This recipe has been tested by my family and has received rave reviews! Here's how to make it...


Hot Cocoa Mix...*
1 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 C. sugar (or 1 1/2 C. if you like it sweeter)
3 C. nonfat powdered milk
dash of salt
mini marshmallows (optional)
Combine all of the ingredients (except mallows) in a large bowl, until thoroughly mixed.
Put into desired giving containers, top with mini mallows, if desired and attach with these instrunctions...Add 3 Tbsp. cocoa mix to 6 oz. hot water, stir and enjoy!
Another thing I love to do is to attach a candy cane and on the instructions add "stir with candy cane". It's makes a yummy peppermint hot cocoa!
You can also use several containers for this. This year I used a variety of different containers; cellophane bags, jars, tins, just about anything and decorate it as you'd like. Another idea I like is to fill a cellophane bag with the mix and put it into a ceramic mug. This is a really fun and simple gift to give. The mix makes alot but, I doubled the recipe to be sure I had enough for everyone I wanted to give it to, and the leftover, we'll drink!
Tomorrow, I'll share my recipe for biscotti!
*Recipe from All You Magazine

5 comments:

Circular Logic said...

I like to make cocoa like this, but I add a little bit of cinnamon to the powder. It adds a nice touch of spice. I wouldn't have thought that cinnamon and chocolate would go so well together, but it definitely does!

Vodka Mom said...

I received a lovely container of something similar from a student yesterday! I can't wait to have some over the holidays!!!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites also!!! They make great gifts - I like it so much I make a jar for me too :)

LenaLoo said...

I did this this Christmas! I ground up candy canes in my food processor and mixed in with the cocoa too :)

E. Sloane Cannon said...

Saying hi from SITS! Great Christmasy homemade ideas, easy to save money and be creative!