Saturday, December 20, 2008

Homemade Christmas II

Yesterday, I started sharing some of my favorite homemade gift ideas. Today, I'll share with you my biscotti recipe. My grandmother gave me a Betty Crocker cookbook for my Bridal Shower and I got this recipe from that. I make them every year. They are more time consuming than difficult to make because they are baked twice but, they are worth every minute.

Orange Almond Biscotti
1 C. Sugar
1/2 C. butter, softenened
1 Tbsp. grated orange peel
2 large eggs
3 1/2 C. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 C. slivered almonds, toasted and chopped. (or 1 tsp. almond flavoring)
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Beat sugar, butter, orange peel, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt and almonds. ( I use my hands to mix this because it can be quite stiff).
Shape half of the dough at a time into a rectangle (about 10x3 inches.) You don't have to measure, just eyeball it.
Bake about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on cookie sheet 15 minutes.
Cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Place slices cut side down on cookie sheet.
Bake about 15 minutes or until crisp and light brown. Remove from sheet and cool on a wire rack.
*Special Addition: I melt 1/2 C. of dark chocolate chips with a teaspoon of shortening and then drizzle it over the tops of cooled cookies. They look really fancy this way.


Gift Idea: Last year, I packed these up in pretty cellophane bags and tucked them inside large, round latte mugs I actually found at the Dollar Store!

ENJOY!
*picture from Bettycrocker.com

6 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that recipe!!!!

Jingle said...

These look wonderful! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Congrats on being featured today!

DESJ and Company said...

Looks yummy!

Lora said...

YUM! I'll have to save this one for sure.

Tiffany said...

I've always wanted to make biscotti. Those look great!

Anonymous said...

LOVE biscotti! Will definitely being giving this recipe a try. :)