Friday, September 21, 2007

Good Food Friday

I've decided that on Fridays, I will share with you a favorite recipe that I make at home. This week's recipe is Baked Oatmeal. I found this in Better Homes and Gardens Magazine about 5 years ago. I started making this on Christmas morning and we all love it. When I first went to make it I realized that I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand so, I adapted it to use what I had in my cupboards so, it is very economical. It's great to make for a family breakfast or for overnight company. I would love to hear any feedback that you have after you've tried it.

Baked Oatmeal
3 C. rolled oats (old-fashioned, not quick)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 C. milk (cow, soy, or rice)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 C. applesauce
1/4 C. oil (or substitute applesauce)
1/4 C. raw or turbinado sugar
1/4 C. packed brown sugar
2 C. fresh fruit (chopped apples, blueberries, pears, peaches, whatever you have on hand).
Plain or vanilla yogurt, milk, or cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl stir together oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together the milk, egg, applesauce, oil, and sugars; add to oat mixture, stirring until combined. Turn into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole dish. Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir mixture. Gently fold in fruit. Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes more or until top is lightly browned. Spoon into bowls. Serve with yogurt, milk, or cream. Serves 6-8
I wish I had a picture to show you but, it's been awhile since I've made this. You'll have to try it and see it for yourself.
*Helpful Tip: You can get all of your dry ingredients ready in a tupperware container the night before so all you have to do in the morning is prepare your wet ingredients.
ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

KT said...

Sounds like a great recipe Gina. I am going to try it...I think Kyle might even like it!