Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Let's make an ice cream cake!

I've had this on my mind as a post since K's birthday but, just getting around to it. Never too late, right? Well, ice cream cakes seem to be the favorite around here so, I thought I would share with you how to make it. This is basically my mother-in-laws recipe with a few revisions.
I am doing this in a bit of a rush so, excuse me if I left out some steps. Contact me if there is any confusion. :)

Here is what you'll need (breakin' it down pioneer woman style): Ice cream (any flavor), heavy whipping cream (or cool whip), Oreo cookies or equivalent, Chocolate syrup. That's it. You will also need sugar for the whipping cream, and butter. (not pictured) Let the ice cream get a little soft. But, definitely not melted. Just spreadable. If you let it melt, it will re-freeze funny. :)
First you will make your whipped cream. Add a couple of Tablespoons of sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla to cream (use the whole pint) Beat until nice and thick...you know, whipped cream consistency. Taste and make sure it is sweet enough. Keep chilled until ready to use.
Now, crush up the cookies in your 1970's food processor, until crushed but not too chunky.
mix the cookies with 2 Tbsp. melted butter and press half of the mixture into the bottom of an 8 inch square pan. Top with a nice layer of chocolate sauce. On top of that, spoon and spread softened ice cream. Layer the other half of the cookies and chocolate sauce.
Top that with the whipped cream.
Stick in the freezer for several hours or until frozen.
(the little container on top is my gluten-free ice cream cake) :)
Decorate! As you can see, cake decorating is not one of my strong points...no one seemed to worried about the decorating as they were eating it, that's for sure.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Eric & Jen said...

Gina! That looks awesome! I love ice cream cake. Miss you and love you guys!