Friday, September 26, 2008

An Unexpected Centerpiece!

The other day my husband brought me a lovely orange gerbera daisy plant. Gerbera daisies just happen to be my favorite flower. I picked out a perfect spot for them, and left the room. Literally 2 seconds later, my son says "Mommy, come and look at your flowers!" Immediately I thought, "oh no." I walked into the living room and there before me were the tops of my flowers picked right off of the stems. A sad feeling came over me. I was only able to enjoy them for a mere minute. My son explained "A did it!" So, usually when he says that I go right to the source because she will usually confess. I said "A, did you pick mommy's flowers?" "Yes, I did." she responded. "I picked them." I explained to her that we only pick flowers outside and yada yada yada.... We had been over this several times because my kids LOVE to pick flowers. So...I had to do something. I had to be able to enjoy this gift from my husband. There was no way I was throwing them away. After a little bit of thought and arranging and rearranging...I came up with the following... A nice little fall centerpiece. I grabbed some decorative river rocks, dropped them into some glass candleholders, added some water, and floated the daisies on top. I then added a brown ribbon to add some more fall color to it. Now, just so you know, I do not proclaim to be some expert decorator, or even have a knack for it...and I'm not even saying this looks good. I just happened to be desperate. And you know what they say....desperate times.....Anyway, I asked my hubby to snap a picture of it so I could share it with you. Anytime I want to take a nice picture of something, I ask Kent to do it because he's just good like that. And, we've all seen my pictures. Let's just say, Photography is not a skill I possess. I try but, it just ain't happenin'. I've been able to enjoy my flowers for about a week and they are still alive! yay!
I hope everyone has a great weekend!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww so cute! I LOVE gerbera daiseys too! They are my favorite. Good thinkin' making those centerpieces - they look wonderful.

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Gerberas are some of my favorite flowers - it's what I had in my wedding bouquet. And orange... lovely.

I think you made a perfectly beautiful centerpiece! I am always in awe of people who can make something beautiful like you did. I do not possess that gifting :)

And what a sweet husband...!

-Andrea

Jenny said...

Great job saving those pretty flowers! I love the fall colors. As far as A. picking them, that sounds like something my younger ones would do. The few times I've managed to grow pretty flowers, the kids always pick them and bring them to me. On the one hand, it's so sweet since they obviously want to give me something special, but on the other hand it's disappointing not to be able to enjoy the plants!

Courtney @ splashing grace said...

lovely!

Painting 4 Him said...

Those are a fabulous display!! Well done.

Sandy said...

Love your Fall centerpiece!

Amanda @ notsoextraordinary said...

oh i love it! what a good idea that was! and the picture is lovely, he did a good job :)