I forgot that yesterday was Good Food Friday! I was too busy thinking about other things, I guess. Well, today I'll post a recipe not for something to eat but, for something you can decorate with....Spice ornaments. We made these and they are so easy and fun. They smell great too.
1 C. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. ground cloves
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
1 Tbsp. ground nutmeg
1 C. applesauce (not the chunky kind)
2 Tbsp. white glue
1. Combine cinnamon, gloves, ginger, and nutmeg in a bowl.
2. Add applesauce and glue.
3. work in all the ingredients with your hands (great job for the kiddos) until it forms a dough.
4. Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 in. thickness. You don't want them too thin or they will break.
5. Cut dough with cookie cutters
6. Use a straw to make a hole in the top of each ornament.
7. Lay them flat to dry at room temp. for 3 to 5 days, turning over every now and then. OR you can stick them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200 degrees for about an hour.
8. When they are dry, thread ribbon or string through the holes and hang where desired or use as toppers for gifts!
The challenge for me was to keep A from eating these. After we hung them on the tree, I caught her taking a bite out of one of them. she decided they didn't taste as good as they smelled.
*If you put these in the oven, they will make your house smell great!