Tuesday, February 8, 2011

{Food} The Best Salad Ever.

When we went home for Christmas, my sister-in-law made this amazing salad that I am now addicted to. It is so easy to throw together and is very adaptable. There is actually no set measurements so, I pretty much just eyeball it. If you get all of your chopping and steaming (for the broccoli) done ahead of time, it's even quicker!

Here's what you need...
Mixed greens (baby spinach is great or whatever you like)
chopped fresh tomatoes
corn (frozen, thawed or canned)
finely chopped red onion
steamed broccoli florets
fresh or dried dill

Here's what you do...
Put greens in a bowl and layer with the veggies.
Sprinkle with chopped fresh dill or dried dill (I LOVE dill)
Pour vinaigrette over and mix well, or serve dressing on side.

Here's how to make the dressing...
Vinaigrette's are very easy to make if you remember this simple ratio. 3:1
that is 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. So, if you use 3/4 C. of olive oil, you will use 1/4 cup of vinegar. See? very easy.
So, here is what I do. I use 3/4 C. of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1/4 C. of red wine vinegar.
Pour into a jar and shake, shake, shake.
Then, add a clove or two of chopped garlic (if you like garlic)
a squirt of honey.
a pinch or two of salt.
a dash or two of pepper
a squirt of dijon mustard.
shake, shake, shake.
taste it with a lettuce leaf and adjust to your liking.

That's it. When you use the 3:1 ratio, you can make endless vinaigrette variations. It's kind of fun.

This salad is delicious as a main dish with chicken or salmon and terrific with cooked brown rice or quinoa! (love quinoa)
Please Enjoy. {smile}

In other news...My son is sick again. (boo) I don't like when my kiddos are sick, especially on their birthday. At least he made it until we gave him his new bike and he blew out the candles on his birthday cake. Sadly, he did not eat his cake. I've saved some for him when he gets better. Let's hope it's soon.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy!!! I'm going to have to try that.
Sure hope your little man gets feeling better REAL soon...that's no fun being sick on your birthday.