Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What Can I Eat That's Gluten-Free?


I enjoyed being a part of this last week so, I decided to do it every Wednesday! This week the theme was "Casseroles". I have to admit that I did not come up with a casserole recipe...please forgive me.
Last night I made a whole chicken in the crockpot. I've done this several times but, this time it took a little longer than usual because I used a larger bird.
I found this recipe on The Hillbilly Housewife website a couple of years ago.
She suggests using seasoned salt but, I don't use that. I make up my own spice blend.

Here's what you do...
  • Make 5 or 6 foil balls and place them in the bottom of your crockpot.
  • Clean your chicken, pat it dry and rub it with every herb and spice in your cabinet (that's what I do, and I call it my own "spice blend.") Be creative, you can do it!
  • Put chicken on top of foil in the crockpot.
  • Cover and turn on high for 6 hours.
  • Resist the temptation to open the lid.
  • If it is a bigger chicken it will take longer than 6 hours. Mine took around 7 hours.
It's the epitomy of "set it and forget it." It tastes like a rotisserie chicken, honestly. I served it with garlic mashed red potatoes and steamed green beans. I even made a little gravy. (with cornstarch, of course.)

This is so quick and easy, and mighty delicious. Your tummy will thank you.

Now, head on over to The Gluten-Free Homemaker for some more great eats!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful. I am going to try it next week. We love rotisserie chicken. My husband is going to flip. Thank you for sharing.
Live Laugh and Enjoy!
Fire-Eyes

Linda said...

I love that you just use all the spices in your cabinet. I tend to stick to just a few. I like to put onions, carrots, and celery on the bottom of the crock. Then they get cooked in the chicken broth and taste yummy. Thanks for participating in the carnival!

Anonymous said...

That sounds really good.
Thank-you for sharing.
Have a wonderful New Year.

Jessie said...

Yum! I never knew you could do that! Thanks for the easy meal idea.

You and I have a lot in common girl! Not the least of which is the fun way of writing recipes "just throw some in, you can do it!"

I'm glad to meet you. I used to do "What's for Dinner" every week but I've slacked off. I'm a terribley inconsistent chef and I'm having fun over at my mom blog.

Brian said...

Sounds easy and tasty.

1artsychick said...

I too love the "you can do it" encouragement! More of us need to remember that the spice cabinet isn't something to be afraid of! I rarely really measure anything. Just kinda throw my spices in the palm of my hand in toss them in the pot! : ) I know what spices I like together and use them and still experiment sometimes. Especially when I have fresh spices in the garden, I go by smell, if it smells good together, it'll taste good together!!
My husband loves the taste of lemon with chicken, if you like just the hint of lemon with your chicken, try putting a whole lemon in your chicken cavity while cooking it. It makes a wonderfully juicy chicken, I usually put a couple of sprigs of rosemary in there with it.

Chicken is so versatile isn't it?

Hope I'll get my act together and see you next week!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have never heard of having chicken that way. Sounds good.
Thanks for sharing.
Have a great week.

Cinde said...

I can't wait to try this recipe... thanks for sharing!

Cinde :)

Gluten Free Taste of Home:

http://www.glutenfreetasteofhome.blogspot.com

The Freebie Fairy:

http://www.freebiefairy.blogspot.com